The (not so) Daily Me

Monday, September 13, 2004

Coffee, Coding in VB, Women's Rights, and the Redskins

When I was in KS and visited Software Builders (there's a picture of Ellis, the head honcho there, on an earlier blog post of mine), I was pampered by having a fridge full of Code Red, a freezer full of burritos, and a coffee pot that always had coffee in it. (oh, and, btw, the top of the fridge was covered with flavored syrup bottles (mostly for coffee, but some adventurous souls would try it in pop) of all different flavors, including one labeled High Octane, which had an unspecified flavor, but whose main selling point was its high concentration of caffeine) I was reminded of my condition of working in an office of travel agents who had Diet Cokes/Pepsis in the fridge. I have worked at GRT full time for about 6 months now. The person whom I replaced was the last of the people who liked coffee enough to make it each day. The other day, I walked into the kitchen, and found the coffee pot. And also found some coffee. Here it is:

It's like something out of Weird Al's "Livin' in the Fridge!" Software Builders employees: count your blessings!!

This afternoon, I was coding in VB Script. I had a big Do...Loop that I wanted taken out of the code. In full blown VB I would have just used a "goto" around it. VB Script doesn't support "goto". I really didn't feel like putting an apostrophe (character used to commment out code in VB) in front of each of the 50 or so lines. In C++ or JScript it would have been simple: put /* */ around it. As a VB programmer, I had to come up with a more creative solution. Here's the original code:

Do while not rs.eof
.
.
.
loop

Here's what I changed it to: Do while 1 = 2
.
.
.
loop
I had to laugh at the absurdity of it!

Tonight in family devotions we had a Bible story entitled "Five Girls Make History." For some reason, something about the story struck me funny. I'll give you a synopsis:

"While those in charge of the numbering were counting the men of the tribe of Manasseh, they got as far as Zelophehad and stopped." At this point I thought, "Oh, they must of reached the end of their alphabetically sorted list." The story continues, "For Zelophehad was dead, [not right after all...] and he had no sons, only daughters. Perhaps you should learn their names so that you won't forget them. [good logic!] Here they are: Mahlah, Noah, Hoglah, Milcah, and Tirzah... no doubt they were considered very pretty names... [uh-huh] One almost feels the story should finish, 'And they lived happily ever after.' Of course... it doesn't"

Hey! Don't look at me with that tone of voice! It was funnier when it happened!

One thing I thought about in this story is the irony of liberals accusing fundamentalist Christian conservatives of being against civil rights, when it was God who said way back there that, "If a man dies, and have no son, then ye shall cause his inheritance to pass unto his daughter." This going against the current tradition of the day. It was the Judeo-Christian culture that has consistently been for the respect of women. It was also the Quakers and other fundamentalist denominations that were at the forefront of the Underground Railroad helping slaves excape from the South.

Redskins beat the Buccaneers! I found a hilarious portion in one of the many (the Redskins, for last couple of years haven't won much because of awful coaches and Danny boy throwing around money; just recently, an old beloved coach, Joe Gibbs (3 Superbowls), came back and is coaching them to victory) of the Washington Post's writeups on the game (Brunell is the quarterback):

"Our protection was great," Brunell said.

Brunell did absorb two crunching hits from defensive end Ellis Wyms as he released the ball--"Is that who that was?" Brunell said afterward...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home