The (not so) Daily Me

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Three cool things and Barbie royalty

Three really neat things have happened recently:

The NCR onsite tech called me a "crackerjack IT guy"
I ordered a new computer today!
Dad told me to order the equipment for a 802.11g wireless link between the office and home so we can use the Cable @Home (no pun intended)!

Here are the specs on my new 'puter:
3.0GHz/800 FSB
Intel 865PE NEO MB
1024 MB PC3200 DDR RAM
120 Gig 7200RPM ATA100 H.D.
8X DVD+-R/RW
nVIDIA GF FX5200 128MB
Altec Lansing 121 w/ Subwoofer
56K V.92 PCI Fax/Modem
Gigabit Ethernet

I talked, the other day, to a customer with a funny name: Barbie King. I thought to myself: "Self, I guess this lady is Barbie royalty! But, she should be called 'Barbie Queen' then... Man... I wish I was a 'Barbie King'... [smile to self]"

Hilarious Boondocks comic today, even tho it pokes fun @ Bush:

I might interject here that I was always confused about the Boondocks comic strip. At first I thought its writer was Democrat and the strip was sticking to Democratic 'values' (if indeed they can be called that). Then, as the ideas the characters espoused became more deeply steeped in ludicrosity, I thought the author was a Republican mocking Democrats' and their ideas. Then, I wasn't sure. Then I thought it could be either of the above situations or he could just be an all around (I think the Grandpa is a conservative) satirist mocking everybody. I did some research and I found that my first hunch was correct. Here's an article by Keith Phipps of The Onion (doesn't that inspire confidence?!?):

Since the mid-'90s discontinuation of The Far Side, Outland, and Calvin And Hobbes (themselves holdovers from the '80s), the world of comic strips has seemed pretty dull. One person changing that is Aaron McGruder, whose strip The Boondocks made its debut last spring in more than 150 papers, a nearly unprecedented number for a launch.

Set in the suburbs, The Boondocks follows the lives of several children, primarily two brothers transplanted from South Chicago to live with their grandfather. One, Huey Freeman, is a deeply opinionated Afrocentrist; the other, Riley "Escobar" Freeman, is a posturing would-be gangsta.

From his strip's debut in daily papers, McGruder--whose work had previously appeared in The Source and the college paper of his alma mater, the University of Maryland--already seemed to have hit his stride, finding the right combination of winning characters, effective gags, and storylines that didn't shy away from racial issues and other political material. This latter facet served as the initial focus of most of the attention directed at The Boondocks (it landed the strip on some papers' editorial pages), but McGruder hopes, and The Boondocks' continued quality suggests, that audiences will find more to like. So far, McGruder has taken on everything from the identity problems of biracial children to his disappointment in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, to the hot button issue of lawn-mowing. Currently developing an animated version of The Boondocks with director Reginald Hudlin in addition to turning out his strip, McGruder recently took some time to talk to The Onion.

That was the header article, for the rest of the interview, you'll have to visit The Onion.

2 Comments:

  • I take from your writing that you would love/hate? the new movie Team America World Police (from the creators of South Park) You should check it out sometime.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 18, 2004 at 11:04 AM  

  • "I take from your writing that you would love/hate? the new movie Team America World Police (from the creators of South Park) You should check it out sometime."I would love to see it! I have been looking forward to seeing it ever since I saw the review in the Washington Post. I love political satire, against GOP or Dems.

    By Blogger starrsoft, at November 2, 2004 at 12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home